Friday, March 30, 2012

Wellington and the Surrounds













Photos:Sails in the morning in the bay, Wellington from Mt. Victoria, Flowers at the Botanic Gardens, Hydrangeas for Michele, The Cable Car, Crayfish toilets, Civic Square, Cuba St. (for Juan)

Morning was spectacular on Island Bay. I ate breakfast overlooking the amazing sight. I took the bus into the city and started walking around. I went up the Cable Car tot he top and walked down through the Botanic Gardens, which were in full bloom. Lovely.

I walked past the old cemetary, which I don't take photos of, but some of the engravings were very old, past delis, Indian and Asian food, winding streets and clear weather. wellington is heaped in traditions of the Maori people and work very heard to preserve it.

I walked down Lambton Quay, a high rent shopping district., along the harbour front, with its great walkways and visual delights. One of the visuals was a toilet in the shape of a crayfish. Very interesting. Cuba St. was a pedestrian walkway with lots of cafes and shops.

I met a friend for lunch and then she took me up to the top of Mt.Victoria where there was a lookout over the entire city. Wonderful. The houses on the hill are old and made of wood in case of an earthquake. We stopped at the Old St. Paul's church and the building was also made of timbers.

I am going to meet her later at the Circa Theatre for a NZ play.

Love
Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment