Friday, March 30, 2012

Ah! Wellington and Island Bay











Today's photos: The Interislander Ferry at Picton, Marlborough Straits crossing, View from the Lighthouse, Inside views of the Lighthouse.

Hi All! I am in Wellington and loving the island life! I crossed from Picton to Wellington on a humungous ship, room for 2,000 cars and trucks and 1600 people. It was amazing. It took about 3 and 1/2 hours to cross. The views of the mountains and sea were difficult to describe, even for me. It was a calm crossing, hardly any waves, just a bit of wind. Picton and Wellington are windy and cooler than Nelson.

After collecting my suitcase, I boarded a shuttle bus for a short ride to the train station where I waited an interminally long time for the right bus to go to Island Bay. I eventually arrived and as I walked along the bay toward the lighthouse, the sea was gently crashing on the rocks, seaweed looked like dolphins swimming and dark rocks looked like fur seals, which of course was only an illusion.

I saw the Lighthouse way before I got there, and it was a lovely beacon. I mounted the stairs, marveled at the nooks and crannies of my home for the last 3 days. Kitchen and bathroom on the first floor, bedroom on the second floor and then the view at the top. Wonderful. The story is this: This was never a working lighthouse. A man was dying and deeded the land to his best friend, Bruce. Bruce decided to surprise his wife by building her a studio on the sea and what else would the shape be on the shore, but a lighthouse? So he built it and when she came home, he shared it with her. Her statement was, "Why did you build this and waste your money?" Needless to say, she was an idiot and he divorced her not long afterward. If it had been me, that would have been the most romantic gesture, I could ever imagine!!!

Anyway, a friend came and brought pizza ( a lady I met in the Blue Mts. of Australia) and we shared a bottle of wine. I went to bed soon after to the sound of gulls and the waves crashing on the shore. What a life!!

Love,
Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment